Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Friday Night Lights

I just had some old memories come into my mind as I was thinking back to my high school days at Tecumseh High School.  I know, the memories aren't that old by many folks standards. Anyway, I remember many of the little details about going to the Friday night football games.  Now I didn't play football because mom scared me out of playing saying I would hurt myself and wouldn't be able to play basketball.  Well it worked so I got to watch my friends from the stands.  Of course, they used to play at the old stadium in the middle of town so everybody used to get real close and personal to the person next to you because there wasn't any room.  There was usually about four different sections to the seating arrangements. On the end was the band. Then came the student section which had an ever changing seating arrangement from people getting up and down throughout the game.  The middle section right under the press box was for the parents of the players and where most of the verbal assaults on the officials came from.  There was always at least one cow bell in attendance every game.  The final group was all the middle school and underclassmen behind the bleachers who were too busy flirting and sending secret messages via their bff to the boy/girl of their dreams.  I remember the constant pounding of the little boys dressed up in their own football jerseys as they ran across the metal walkway or hopped down the metal bleachers making as much noise as possible. Of course I had a personal interest in the band performances since my future spouse was either playing an instrument or throwing a flag up in the air.  Unfortunately I have only been to a few games at the new stadium and that involved taking my own young kids with me so I don't recall if any of the former traditions of my youth have emerged in the newer, more spacious stadium at Tecumseh High School.  I hope to attend more games this year and possibly see some familiar faces that I haven't seen in a while.  I don't know what section I fit in this time but maybe I can figure it out. GO SAVAGES!

No comments:

Post a Comment