Friday, August 24, 2012

Run John Run

   So I started back running again about a month or two ago.  I decided I wanted to run faster than I did last year when I ran in the Barney Shirey Memorial 5K. I think I ran it in about 24:45 but felt totally wiped out when it was over. I could have been that I only trained for a few weeks prior to the run. I guess it's the competitor in me that always wants to compete at something, even if it's something as monotonous as running. So my goal is to knock off about 2:45 off of that time. That would be pushing me pretty far but why set goals that are easy to reach. Meeting hard goals makes it that much more fulfilling and drives you in your training.  When I get on a certain kick I go a little overboard sometimes. Case in point, I plan to run in the Route 66 Half Marathon in mid November in Tulsa.  I figure, as long as I am doing all this running I might as well do something I haven't ever done.  Also, since I will have put quite a bit of training into running the half marathon, if I don't succumb to injury or disaster through that experience, I guess I will try and run the full marathon at the OKC Memorial Marathon in April. Disclaimer, I know I am just on a "running high" so to speak and I may swear off running for life after the half marathon so I reserve the right to bow out of the full marathon experience without guilt or possible public ridicule. I don't know what my next competitive endeavor will be but I have several months (and many long runs) to think about it.
   On a side note, I love how Jonathan now always asks, "Are you sweaty daddy?" anytime he sees me wearing my gym shorts and tennis shoes. I guess he is a bit leery about running up and hugging me after he got sweat all over him hugging me post run one day. Experience is the best teacher, especially for little boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment