Friday, November 25, 2011

Fertile Ground

Most Christians have heard the parable of the seeds and the different types of ground that the seeds fall on.  It can be found in the first part of Matthew 13.  Seeds fell on the path, some fell on rocky earth, some fell among thorns, and some fell on fertile ground.  I was re-reading a section of Francis Chan's book "Crazy Love" and reminded that most Christians automatically think that they are the fertile ground Jesus was talking about.  If they are going to church, obey most laws, don't drink or cuss then they have to be fertile ground right? The other ground is reserved for the people that aren't doing those things. I must admit, it is very easy to compare my life to the millions of people that are obviously not interested in following Christ and think by default I am fertile ground, ready to produce a crop many times what was sown in me.  Yes, I know better, it doesn't work that way.  I am accountable to Christ and He knows my heart.  He sees my internal battle with thorns that only serve to choke out any seeds that Christ wants to see flourish in my life.  These thorns can take many forms in this world, including money, possessions, people, status, work, family, friends, and many more.  Anything that keeps your thoughts and desires on the things of this world and away from Christ's call on your life is a thorn.  Some of the things I listed sound like perfectly innocent things that most people enjoy daily.  And I think they should be enjoyed, but not to the extent that Christ takes a back seat in your life.  It is too easy to look at the temporal pleasures in front of us and forget about the eternal awesome treasures God has promised that will never go away. Don't miss out on a crop that produces 30, 60, or 100x what was sown.  Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.  Maybe the most useful thing I could receive this Christmas would be a pair of gardening shears.

No comments:

Post a Comment